The Society of Jesus opened Xavier College in 1878 on Barkers Road, Kew. The original location is the Senior Campus of the College, which supports approximately 1000 students.
The Central Precinct Development was procured via an Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) and Design and Construct contract and incorporates the redevelopment of the Chapel Oval and the addition of the Kostka Building to accommodate an incoming cohort of 500 Year 7 and 8 students and will further showcase the modern innovation and rich historical preservation of Xavier College.
The Chapel Oval will be re-imagined as a Transport Hub with car parking consolidated to a central location on campus, reducing at-grade parking and limiting pedestrian and car interaction. The existing oval will be demolished and excavated for the new parking facility to be constructed, for the oval to then be re-constructed on top with a suspended slab and natural turf playing surface. The new Chapel Oval will incorporate pick-up and drop off facilities and house approximately 250 car spaces, sports change room facilities, a uniform shop, as well as water storage and maintenance facilities.
The Kostka Building
The Kostka Building will overlook the redeveloped Chapel Oval and be a welcoming and nurturing learning environment for Year 7 and 8 students, spanning across four levels all serviced by a lift.
The ground floor houses the ‘Resource Centre’ which includes sky-lit quiet study and small group research areas, larger group study spaces around the perimeter with view of the oval, and a high-tech Specialist Hub with a central break-out space allowing students to come together to collaborate and share their work.
The ‘Learning Street’ is divided into four Learning Neighbourhoods; two per year level. Each Learning Neighbourhood consists of five classrooms, accommodating 125 students, grouped around a student common area. Staff facilities including concierge, offices and meeting rooms are centralised between the Learning Neighbourhoods so students can remain connected to their teachers throughout the day.
The new ‘7 & 8 Chapel’ at the western end of the building is a flexible area to facilitate religious services and classes, retreats, seminars and small performances. The circular space is framed with stained glass reflecting the Chapel at the former Kostka Hall Campus which closed its gates in 2021, and features views of the landscaped grounds of Xavier College.
The roof of the Kostka Building will feature a sensory roof garden for quiet reflection in the landscape, in alignment with Jesuit values.
A new basketball court and play area for the Years 7 & 8 students will be constructed adjacent to the new Kostka Building and Chapel Oval in place of the maintenance shed which will be demolished.
We’re pleased to be teaming up with Xavier College and Case Meallin to deliver the Central Precinct Development following our successful collaboration on the Manresa project.