Since being founded in 1937 the Frankston Yacht Club grew steadily and to allow the Club to continue offering excellent facilities for yachting enthusiasts, the site on the Frankston foreshore adjacent to Kananook Creek was redeveloped.
The existing buildings and seawall structure were demolished, including the removal of asbestos and existing services, and a new substation constructed in preparation for the new Frankston Yacht Club building, associated public realm areas and car parking.
Along with the new two-storey clubhouse building, a new seawall structure, beach boardwalk, boat shed, boat storage yard and access ramp was constructed. The main building houses patrol boat storage, a leasable community space, public toilets, a ground floor café, first floor restaurant and function room, and second floor safety lookout / navigation room.
Externally, new access road and car park, pedestrian paths, low retaining walls and public lighting were constructed, and advanced tree and revegetation planting was completed to further integrate the facility into its coastal environment.
The project involved immense coordination, liaison, management and communication with all stakeholders and authorities to gain all necessary permits and approvals, with Environmental Management Systems in place to protect the sensitive foreshore environment as well as adhering to the various requirements from federal, state and local government regulatory body requirements.