Port Phillip Prison is a maximum-security prison accommodating over 1000 inmates. Our fourth project for the Port Phillip Prison involved the new extension and refurbishment works to the existing St John’s Unit and Scarborough Yards.
This expansion project was completed over 2 consecutive stages to ensure minimal disruption was caused whilst the facility remained operational. The works included:
- Demolition and refurbishment work to parts of the existing St John’s Unit.
- Construction of a new expansion wing that connects to the existing building.
- Construction of new cells, palliative care areas, consulting rooms and internal common areas.
- Upgrades and extensions of existing services including mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, security and fire services.
- Construction of new external hard landscaping areas.
The Stage 1 works to Scarborough Yards successfully completed and handed over in November 2019 and the Stage 2 works to St John’s Unit successfully completed and handed over in September 2020.